Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Life Begins After Coffee

I have found joy in wandering the city every morning to find myself a cup of coffee. The morning dew remains in the air as I walk down the uneven streets. The city is quiet while the tourists are still asleep. I follow the smell of espresso beans into the nearest café. The locals rush through to get to work while still managing to enjoy a shot of espresso at the coffee bar. “Ciao, un espresso e croissant.” I speak broken Italian to the barista and then I am off to find a table.

For a moment, I take the slight breeze of fresh air for granted until I quickly remember the midday heat that I will later encounter on my walk to class. I begin to savor the chill in the air. I pull out my laptop while sitting outside the café waiting for my breakfast. Although some places in Florence charge a sitting fee, I find it worth the extra cost to enjoy the beautiful morning. I go over readings and assignments for my afternoon classes while sipping on my coffee.

I cannot help but take a break from my studies to watch the locals strolling by. The commute to work in Florence is commonly made by moped, bike, or walking. It is not uncommon to see a bicycling grandmother weaving between pedestrians and speeding through narrow streets. As the sun slowly rises above the buildings, there is an increase in the number of tourists, easily spotted by their selfie sticks and athletic clothing. As I watch the Italian locals passing by, I recognize their higher level of fashion as they dress with a purpose and avoid the yoga pants and over-sized t-shirts we are so used to back home.

During the past several weeks, I have noticed many cultural differences, but the one that stands out the most is the coffee culture. The closest thing you can get to an ‘American coffee’ here is an “Americano,” which is an espresso diluted with a cup full of water. Italian coffee comes in a one-size-fits-all model, in contrast to the various sizes (including extra large) available in the United States. Although small, each espresso beverage is made to order with variations of temperature, strength, milk, foam, and more. Despite missing my large coffees in the U.S., Italy’s coffee culture is strong and unique, and I am learning to love it.

This post was written by Morgan Boncyk, a sophomore pursuing a Bachelor’s of Science in Nutrition Science as well as Nutrition and Dietetics. She plans to get a Master’s of Public Health and Doctorate in Medicine. 

1 comment:

  1. Cool, quiet mornings are the best! People watching can be a fun time in itself:) Interesting to view through the eyes of those in a younger generation, because I have noticed that several things mentioned as different to the Italian culture were actually things that were common in our culture 20-50 years ago i.e. clothing worn on the street or for work. For those that lived in cities, it was common for woman to "dress up" in dresses, hosiery (pantyhose)and sometimes high heels, hats and/or gloves. As our culture sped up (lots of reasons for this) mealtime became quick and carry-out, fashion became quick and with a "come as you are" attitude. Thank you so much for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete