Monday, July 10, 2017

From the Professor's Desk: Keepin' it Classy in Firenze

Buongiorno, tutti!

Yesterday you had the opportunity to read an excellent research update written by rising sophomore, Anyia Clayton. Our research progress has remained steady, with nearly 25 interviews completed and several surveys submitted. We are well on our way to meeting our data collection goals! The students have been working hard with study recruitment, and their excitement and interest is on clear display during our data discussion class periods. They have exponentially grown in their research skills, interpretations, and writing—and we are only in week four of our program! I am continually impressed by their passions and insights, and am looking forward to their final research papers and presentations (scheduled for August 1). Engaging in research and co-authoring a manuscript as an undergraduate student at Purdue University (’06) absolutely kickstarted my research interests, and I am hoping our experience here in Florence is doing the same for some of these young women. This was one of the many reasons I wanted to create a blended research and study abroad opportunity—both tend to be high priorities, and impressive resume-builders, for our students!

For those of you craving a little more information on our research project….we have been exploring women’s reproductive and sexual health issues among women aged 18 – 45 years living in and around Florence. Our data collection strategies have included one-hour, in-depth interviews (often conducted in small cafes, private offices, or other comfortable locations) and a web-based survey. Both the interviews and the survey contain questions related to health in Italy (in general), contraception decision-making, pregnancy culture, genital hair removal and hygiene practices, and menstruation, among other similar topics. This is an exploratory study intended to capture an array of women’s health information, as little is published in English on Italian women’s health behaviors and outcomes. Italian women are intriguing for this fact, and Italy in general has a lower unintended pregnancy rate than the US—a topic we are exploring in-depth. I hope this gives you a taste of our work….you will have to wait until we present or publish the data to know more of the juicy details, and how the outcomes will help us understand women in Italy, and all around the world.

Our class periods have been quite engaging and pleasurable. The 2.5 hour time period seems to fly by, and before I know it, the students dart out to get to their next class—Cultural Introduction to Italy. Our daily class schedule has been arranged similar to this: 1) “Family bonding,” which is where we engage in personal development so we can continue to function well and grow as a team; 2) Recapping the prior day’s lesson/touching base on any happenings; 3) Participating in writing workshops to build skills in scientific manuscript development; 4) A discussion on the day’s assigned reading; and 5) Group time for students to make progress on their assigned manuscript topics. My teaching philosophy is largely focused on experiential learning, so I have tried to cultivate an environment full of discussion, peer and mentor education, reflective thought, and team-based exercises. See picture to the right of our student teams working together on their assigned tasks!

Today’s class period focused on how to compose the Methods section of a mixed research methods manuscript. This portion, for me, tends to be the easiest paper portion to compose, and I think the students are sharing this same sense. Most of their time was spent split into paper teams to compose paragraphs detailing all the intricacies of our process, one they know so well since they have been living and breathing the project since landing in Florence. Even prior to our Italy travels, each of them had an opportunity to review and provide feedback on both our interview guide and web-based survey tool, which I feel made them further understand the project’s goals and intentions. I went from #PassionateProfessor to #BestProfessorEver when I ended class early for a field trip to my favorite organic gelato spot, Edoardo, to celebrate Chandler’s belated (July 8) and Audrey’s early (July 12) birthdays. Below is a picture of us with our tasty gelato, which aligns nicely with an emerging theme of our adventures—food, but more specifically, gelato!


I would like to give a special shout out to my two graduate assistants on the program, Audrey Rehberg and Sydney Rivera. They have both been instrumental to the program’s success, through working closely with the undergraduate students inside and outside of the classroom. Our research is thriving under their project management, and I could not be more impressed by their professionalism.

Our upcoming blog posts will focus on health topics in Florence and throughout Italy, so all of our followers are in for a real treat. Keep following along to learn about various health policies, structures, experiences, and more. Ciao for now!

This post was composed by Dr. Andrea DeMaria, Assistant Professor at Purdue University and Program Director for this study abroad experience. She can be reached at ademaria@purdue.edu.

16 comments:

  1. I have loved being a mentor for the 13 undergraduate students on this trip. It makes my heart sing when they walk into class eager to learn and improve their research skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The writing workshops have been so beneficial! I never realized how using active voice instead of passive voice makes a paper sound so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed the collaboration that comes with working on a group project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been amazing to see the students' progress throughout our time here, and I can't wait to see what incredible research and papers develop out of this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have really enjoyed learning how to improve my research and writing skills. It has been such a great learning experience so far and I am looking forward to seeing how our research papers progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for being an amazing professor! The thing that I've enjoyed most so far is having the opportunity to excel in both my personal and professional career while studying abroad! I'm really enjoying working on the contraception paper and I'm learning so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interviewing women has been the highlight of this experience. Discussing their thoughts and experiences is something I would never do as just a tourist or on a 'normal' study abroad. I have learned so much about the quality of care women receive and it inspires me to become more involved in the U.S. healthcare system.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Working in our groups has really brought my team members and I together to bond and learn more about each other.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have enjoyed the family time, it gives us a perspective of each other we may not get just talking or at dinner. It allows us to get to know each other better and see how much we really do have in common.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am very thankful for everything this study abroad expereince has given me. It has allowed myself to grow personally and improve my research skills, while enjoying each day in Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have really enjoyed improving my writing skills. I never knew how much I was taught in my early years of school was not used when writing a research paper, it has been so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have absolutely loved our time together as a team and family both inside and outside of the classroom. The best part about our time spent in class is the "Building A Family" portion where we get to share personal experiences of our time in Florence, progress in our research, and writing in our travel journals to improve our overall writing skills that showcase our personal style.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Having the opportunity to interview Italian women about their health has been a beneficial and an intriguing process. I have especially enjoyed working with the great ladies on the menstruation paper!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dr. DeMaria is a wonderful professor, and I always look forward to her peppy, engaging style in class! (:

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoy seeing the difference between the U.S and Italy when we discuss our findings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing your model and methods for this study program. So interesting.

    ReplyDelete