Friday, June 30, 2017

Making Florence My Home

I have always imagined myself becoming a world traveler. I find myself dreaming about far off places and the grandeur of cultures waiting to be explored. Then again, I bet every little girl from a small town does.

We were nearing the middle of our first week in Florence when I started to feel a little homesick. I felt guilty because I had not yet fallen in love with this city, a moment that everyone else seemed to have had. I wanted so badly to experience that connection. I mean, how could I not be in love with such a beautiful place that was everything I had ever dreamed of?

The crowded, narrow streets and all the signs in a different language became increasingly overwhelming. It was harder to adjust to a big foreign city than I had expected. Yesterday evening, I attended my first aperitivo. I was feeling a little anxious and wanted to go back to my apartment, but knew I should not limit myself from any experience, so I went anyways. The atmosphere was light and in the background they were playing The Outfield’s, “Your love”, one of my favorites songs. The room was full of waiters bustling out small dishes with an assortment of different foods and everyone chatting and enjoying a cocktail. In the background you could hear faint “salutes” or “cheers.”

As I walked home it started to rain. A little at first and then all at once the sky let loose and it started to pour. The streets quickly started to clear as people ran for the cover of canopies. I persisted on with my umbrella and a chuckle. I love the rain. The smell reminds me of the fresh dew of my front yard in the morning. I walked past the Duomo and really took it in. Although I walk past it everyday, this time was different. The tourists were gone, the heat had subsided, and it was as if it was just me gazing at the ornately designed gothic style bell tower and the green, white, and pink marble of the divine church. It all seemed so much more vibrant with a fresh coat of rain. It was a sublime feeling. My whole body relaxed and I finally felt at home.

The streets and crowds no longer bother me, and I have even started to pick up on the street names. Today I found my apartment without a map and rewarded myself with a cherry cheesecake pastry for my small victory.


This post was written by Kayleigh Mann, a senior studying History and Anthropology. After graduating, she plans to pursue a doctoral program in applied anthropology.


1 comment: