Sunday, July 30, 2017

Soundtrack to my Italian Summer

A string quartet
“The earth has music for those who listen.” This quote, attributed to Reginald Vincent Holmes, has always resonated deeply with me as a life long musician (Kopshy, 2016). I often remember moments by the songs that played during them, and am known to hum along to tunes that no one else can hear. One of my most beautiful adventures as we’ve traveled through Italy has been listening to the music this country has for us.
I encountered a violin and bass duo, known as the Romdraculas, while taking a stroll on one of our very first nights in Florence. Their soft melodies paired with the dim light illuminating the Duomo helped set the stage for many enchanting evenings to come and established a soundtrack for my time here. This soundtrack has been continued by the countless other street musicians (or buskers) that Florence has to offer. 
The Romdraculas
Street musicians are an essential part of Florentine life. No matter where or when you are walking, there will most likely be a busker entertaining a crowd, thanks to a law from 2014 that designated 29 locations for performance (Davis, 2016). Buskers now receive permits to play from the city, creating a system that diversifies the music performed in each of these areas (Davis, 2016). One of my favorite groups to observe around the city is Foneno, a bluegrass duo that perform on a rolling stage. Not a pair to shy away from the spotlight, they can be seen at different locations around Florence on their red portable platform with a small puppet that dances in front of the drummer (“Foneno - Home,” n.d.).
The street musicians of Florence perform different styles and are from various backgrounds, but it isn’t hard to observe the passion that they all share for their craft. Their songs have transformed sleepy morning walks and made the nights seem more alive. Whether coming from the guitar player in a piazza singing April Come She Will (my favorite Simon and Garfunkel song) or the string quartet playing the Pirates of the Caribbean theme (an essential for all string ensembles), Florence has music for those who listen.

This post was written by Hannah Calvert, a senior majoring in Political Science and Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies. She aspires to be the Mayor of Muncie, Indiana and have a career in public policy.

Davis, M. (2016, July 13). Street musicians in Florence. Retrieved July 29, 2017, from http://www.theflorentine.net/lifestyle/2016/07/street-musicians-rise-florence/
Foneno - Home. (n.d.). Retrieved July 29, 2017, from https://www.facebook.com/pg/fonenoband/about/?ref=page_internal
Kopshy, A. (2016, February 16). The earth has music for those who listen. Retrieved July 29, 2017, from http://theglobalmusictherapyproject.com/the-earth-has-music-for-those-who-listen/

1 comment:

  1. You have found a warm spot in my heart. Where would I be without music? I played the French horn in high school (no laughing now :) and because of that was introduced to live classical music in concert for the first time. I am embarrassed to say it touched me so deeply, tears flowed. I am sure my classmates thought me to me a bit wacky! :) My mother harmonized to the songs of the 40's as she moved around the house and I memorized them all. I listened to Elvis Presley, who popularized a blend of country and gospel. His music and gyrations were the scandal of the time!!! We sure didn't know what was coming when it comes to music styles. My husband and I sang for a while in church ensembles, but for the most part that era has ended for us. BUT we are so blessed to be able to hear and still enjoy beautiful music together.
    "After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music" Author Unknown

    ReplyDelete