Sunday, July 16, 2017

A Day at The Beach: Italian Style

After a month in Florence, we just had a three-day weekend where I took the opportunity to see my friend Andrea in Pesaro, Italy. Pesaro is in Northern Italy and is a popular beach town. I hosted Andrea for a year during high school, and he was finally able to host me in Italy.

He was very excited to show me the places he frequently goes and have me try all of his favorite foods. At the top of his list was the beach, and a seafood restaurant on a dock that he loves. On Saturday, we woke up early, had a light breakfast, and headed to the beach. We arrived around 9:00 AM and all the spots were taken. We drove around for twenty minutes looking for a spot before he finally decided to make his own (which I found to be very Italian of him, since Umberto taught us all about their rule bending when it comes to driving).

When we walked up, his parents and family friends had already been at the beach since early morning and had claimed their spot for the day. His mom and dad introduced me, and everyone was very eager to show me that they knew a little English. I was grateful to hear them say "hello" and "nice to meet you." They were very proud of their spot on the beach and proclaimed it was the best. I had to agree; it was close to the water and to the little snack shack. Their great spot was not a coincidence…they have had this spot for ten years.

The beach was more than just a tourist experience for me because I was able to learn the way Italians enjoy the beach. The beach was their reunion and a way to catch up on all the latest news. A day at the beach turned into a lesson in English and Italian, a game of basketball, an in-depth conversation about politics, an opportunity for my hosts to see all their friends, and a lesson in community.

After settling in, we all went on a walk along the water. We stopped frequently to chat with other townspeople about birthdays, business, and even sometimes to hear a joke. We sat at a stand and drank coffee while they told me about all their friends and stories about the people walking by. I had the opportunity to feel like a true Italian, even if it was only during a day at the beach. 

This post was written by Kayleigh Mann, a senior studying History and Anthropology. After graduating, she plans to pursue a doctoral program in applied anthropology.


1 comment: